This is the recipe I have made and I love them, I cover them with icing (made with icing sugar and a little water) or with melted chocolate and often add a cherry on top.
- 110g/4oz butter or margarine, softened at room temperature
- 110g/4oz caster sugar
- 2 free-range eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 tsp vanilla essence
- 110g/4oz self-raising flour
- 1-2 tbsp milk
Preheat the oven to 180C/350F/Gas 4 and line a fairy cake tin with 12 paper cases.
- Cream the butter and sugar together in a bowl until pale. Beat in the eggs, a little at a time, and stir in the vanilla extract.
- Fold in the flour using a large metal spoon. Add a little milk to make the mixture a dropping soft consistency and spoon the mixture into the paper cases until they are half full.
- Bake in the oven for 8-10 minutes, or until golden-brown on top and a skewer inserted into one of the cakes comes out clean. Set aside to cool for 10 minutes, then remove from the tin and cool on a wire rack.